Fresh Start has once again opened its doors for donations and these can be placed in the box in St Peter’s courtyard. Please do not bring cushions or bric a brac as the charity has to pay for disposal of such items.
There is a list of suitable items on the inside lid of the box: eg pots and pans, cutlery, crockery, small electrical goods (kettles, toasters), towels and bedding.
Fresh Start is a charity, which was started in the year 2000 by a group of Edinburgh Churches, it provides new tenants who have been homeless with basic ‘Starter Packs’ of essential household items.
Every month we collect reusable household items such as crockery, pots and pans, cutlery, cleaning materials and bedding.
Not only are we helping the homeless but we are maintaining our Eco congregation status by reducing the tonnes of waste sent to landfill every year.
To continue to provide these services we are in need of a few items for our Starter Packs. Please share this list with family and friends and help us to restock our shelves to help people set up their homes.
If you’re looking for somewhere to volunteer a few hours of your week then look no further! If you have green fingers and would like to share your skills with people resettling in the community after homelessness, then get in touch with us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
…we are always looking for volunteers for our Growing Spaces in Polwarth and Craigmillar!
Volunteers have been working extremely hard recently painting people’s homes. With the service being in such high demand we are on the lookout for more volunteers. Volunteers for the Hit Squad service would need to be able to give one day (9am – 3pm) a month to the service, and would be fully trained.
Visit Fresh Start Volunteering
Starter Pack Items
- Crockery – dinner plates, side plates, bowls
- Bed Linens – flat & fitted sheets, duvet covers, pillowcases (single and double)
- Toiletries – deodorant, toothbrushes, toothpaste, shower gel, shampoo
- Cleaning products – anti bacterial spray, bleach, cloths, bin bags, sponges
- Small electrical items such as lamps, toasters, irons, hand blenders, alarm clocks, hair dryers, sandwich makers
NO – Duvets, pillows or cushions
Food donations for Starter Packs and Fresh Start Pantry
- Cereals such as Rice Krispies, Cheerios, Weetabix, Variety packs (children and families like these) Children friendly cereals such as Coco Pops, honey loops etc
- Cuppa soups
- Pot noodles and cup noodles and super noodles
- Cook in sauces such as bolognaise, pasta sauces, curry sauces
- Cartons of fruit juices such as apple, orange
- Diluting juices such as blackcurrant, orange, lemon, Vimto
- Tins of puddings such as rice pudding and custard
- Tins of meats such as hot dogs, spam, corned beef
- Fray Bentos pies
- Tins of fruit such as peaches, grapefruit, apricots
- Tins of vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, green beans or mixed vegetables
- Tins of fish such as Tuna, sardines, mackerel
- Brown sauce
- Cooking oil
- Gravy granules
- Dehydrated pasta packets such as ‘Kraft macaroni cheese’
- Biscuits such as hob nobs, chocolate digestives
- Instant coffee
NO – Tins of soup, tins of beans, tins of tomato, rice or pasta
Giving page instead – www.freshstartweb.org.uk/donate
Contact: Patricia Cairns 447 2026